Search This Blog

Thursday, April 20, 2017

What If I'm Fifteen?

273 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 2Ti 3:10 But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, (2 Ti 3:10) Timothy has carefully observed Paul in all these different aspects of his life and ministry. Paul is setting these before Timothy now, so that he will use them as his own pattern once Paul is called home. Today, let's talk about Paul's pattern of faith and longsuffering. In a nutshell, he was convinced of the truth of the crucified and risen Christ revealed to him on the road to Damascus and all the other revelations given to him by Jesus and he stuck to his guns. He didn't waver on the doctrine of Christ! It is as he wrote earlier to Timothy in 2Ti 1:12, “ for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day.” The longsuffering that Paul speaks of here is that of being patient with people. It is closely related to the patience and perseverance that God mercifully holds out to unbelievers as we read in 2Pe 3:9, “The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.' So Paul reminds Timothy here to be patient as it relates to the gospel producing fruit. Not everyone gets it the first time around. As I reflect back on my own prodigal days, and occasional exposure to the gospel, I realize that the gospel was always presented when I happened to attend church, I just didn't get it! So, persevere in presenting the faith! Fruit will come! There was a Greg Long song that was popular a few years ago called “Fifteen,” and the chorus went like this: “If it takes 15 times, to hear about Jesus for someone to believe, wherever I stand in line I've got to make a difference in case it comes down to me. Cuz I may be the 3rd, maybe the 7th, there may be years in between, but what if I'm 15, what if I'm fifteen!” Don't give up on the gospel. Today may be the day someone hears it from your lips and finally gets it!

No comments :

Post a Comment