Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Stench of Sin

485 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 10:6 “When the people of Ammon saw that they had made themselves repulsive to David, the people of Ammon sent and hired the Syrians of Beth Rehob and the Syrians of Zoba, twenty thousand foot soldiers; and from the king of Maacah one thousand men, and from Ish-Tob twelve thousand men. (2 Sam 10:6) I like the way the King James puts v6, “and when the children of Ammon saw that they stank before David.” These people were a stench in the nostrils of David! In my teen years I worked at a diner, and there was a regular customer who would come in for a meal after his shift at the local rendering plant. We lived downwind from that plant and I can still remember the putrid smell that would waft our way. But this man just reeked of the renderings, and the smell clung to his clothing. He was oblivious to it all, because he was used to it. But I literally would have to hold my breath when I approached him to take his order and deliver his food. It was a retching odor that I remember to this day. This is the way it is with sin. It reeks in the nostrils of God, and one of the dangers we face is we get comfortable with it. We forget how offensive it is in the nostrils of God, and unless we do something about it. The smoke of our sin clings to us and wafts up to God. Isa 65:5 says, “Who say, 'Keep to yourself, Do not come near me, For I am holier than you!' These are smoke in My nostrils, A fire that burns all the day” A holier than thou attitude is pride, it says to God, “I don't stink!” This attitude is repulsive to God! So what do we do about it? Well Jesus came to this garbage dump of sin, and touched the reeking lepers. He cleansed them and offers to cleanse us as we receive Him as Lord and Savior. Beware of becoming comfortable in your sin. Make it a practice to regularly wash yourself in the promises of God's Word. 1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, (admit that we reek) He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Father, thank You for cleansing me from the stench of my sins.

No comments :

Post a Comment