Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Waiting In the Wings

# 333 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 24:1-3, “ Now it happened, when Saul had returned from following the Philistines, that it was told him, saying, "Take note! David is in the Wilderness of En Gedi." 2 Then Saul took three thousand chosen men from all Israel, and went to seek David and his men on the Rocks of the Wild Goats. 3 So he came to the sheepfolds by the road, where there was a cave; and Saul went in to attend to his needs. (David and his men were staying in the recesses of the cave.) (1 Sam 24:1-3) “Now it happened.” No it didn't, when you see these words in Scripture, pay attention. It didn't “just happen,” God caused this to happen. This incident has God's providence written all over it and therefore leaves us with some important lessons! Imagine all the emotions going through David and his men as they were hiding in this cave. They can see Saul coming, and they retreat silently to the recesses of the cave, afraid to breathe less they be found out. What would you do? What would your emotional state be? David wrote two Psalms about this experience. Psalm 57 and Psalm 142, in both Psalms he begins by asking for God's mercy. In Ps 57:,2 1we read, “Be merciful to me, God, be merciful to me, For my soul takes refuge in you. Yes, in the shadow of your wings, I will take refuge, Until disaster has passed. And in Psa 142:1,2, “ I cry with my voice to Yahweh. With my voice, I ask Yahweh for mercy. 2 I pour out my complaint before him. I tell him my troubles. Here's the thing about a cave. There typically is only one way in and therefore only one way out. David and his men were trapped. If Saul discovers them and sounds the alarm, David and his men are toast. Ever feel like that? Ever feel like you are trapped in a cave with no way out. Have life's circumstance put you into a situation that is pressing in on you? Don't panic! Do as David and his men did. Ask for the Lord's mercy, then wait it out in the shadow of the wings of God. He loves you, He will protect you, He will see you through, delivering you from the evil designs of the enemy. Father I pray for those who are feeling pressed today. Shelter them in Your wings and deliver them.

No comments :

Post a Comment