Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

Pray For and Love Your Enemies

# 336 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 24:12-15, "Let the LORD judge between you and me, and let the LORD avenge me on you. But my hand shall not be against you. 13 "As the proverb of the ancients says, 'Wickedness proceeds from the wicked.' But my hand shall not be against you. 14 "After whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue? A dead dog? A flea? 15 "Therefore let the LORD be judge, and judge between you and me, and see and plead my case, and deliver me out of your hand." ( 1 Sam 24:12-15) David confronts Saul who has been pursuing him relentlessly. He has showed him the piece of Saul's robe that he had cut off in the cave, letting Saul know that he had the option of ending the pursuit by taking Saul's life. But he didn't and he didn't because he knew the truth of Ro 12:19, “Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.” David was going to trust God to be the judge between the two of them. He quotes an ancient proverb that in essence says, “even if the wicked pursue revenge, I won't.” Then he says, “look I am as harmless as a dead dog or a flea, why are you wasting time and resources on this chase” Why don't you just trust God to work it all out.” How true in our own lives. We allow our own enemies to consume our time and resources with wasteful thoughts and worries, and some times even plotting ways to get even. How foolish in light of this account of the rift between David and Saul. Don't miss the point here, let God take care of your enemies! Jesus gave us all the direction we need concerning our enemies. He said in Mt 5:44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, If this strategy does not result in the winning over of your enemy do not fear. God sees. He knows. De 32:35 says, “Vengeance is Mine, and recompense; Their foot shall slip in due time; For the day of their calamity is at hand, And the things to come hasten upon them.' Father, I pray for those who struggle with enemies, help them to take that first step of praying for them, trusting You for the results.

No comments :

Post a Comment