Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Anointed By Appointment

# 335 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 24:8-11, “David also arose afterward, went out of the cave, and called out to Saul, saying, "My lord the king!" And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with his face to the earth, and bowed down. 9 And David said to Saul: "Why do you listen to the words of men who say, 'Indeed David seeks your harm'? 10 "Look, this day your eyes have seen that the LORD delivered you today into my hand in the cave, and someone urged me to kill you. But my eye spared you, and I said, 'I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the LORD'S anointed.' 11 "Moreover, my father, see! Yes, see the corner of your robe in my hand! For in that I cut off the corner of your robe, and did not kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor rebellion in my hand, and I have not sinned against you. Yet you hunt my life to take it. (1 Sam 24:8-11) Again, catch the words of respect for authority. Twice David calls Saul his lord. He refers to him again as God's anointed, and even calls him father! (Still another authority figure!) Remember, David had lived in Saul's house for quite some time, and had regarded him as a father figure! But it's not only his words of respect, note that David also stooped down with his face in the dirt to show honor to the king. I know many of you are probably tired of me harping on this idea of respect for our political leaders. But ask yourself this question, “Who's doing the harping? Who keeps making the point time after time in Scripture? Who is it that evidently wants us to understand this about those in authority over us? Ro 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. To be appointed by God is to be anointed by God and David knew that. He also knew that when the time came to depose Saul, it would be God's doing, not his. Oh, and that little piece of robe? It should remind Saul of his vulnerability, and make him think twice about how he governs those under his authority. “Father forgive me for those times I spout off over your appointed and anointed leaders.”

No comments :

Post a Comment