Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

There's No Such Thing As A Secret Thought

# 261 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 18:16,17, “But all Israel and Judah loved David, because he went out and came in before them. 17 Then Saul said to David, "Here is my older daughter Merab; I will give her to you as a wife. Only be valiant for me, and fight the LORD'S battles." For Saul thought, "Let my hand not be against him, but let the hand of the Philistines be against him." David was immensely popular with the people. Not only had he gained fame with his victory over Goliath, but “he went out and came in” before the people. Well what does that mean? It means that he went out on military campaigns and came back from military campaigns as the victor. Every movie you've ever seen with conquering generals and their armies returning to the cheering throngs is summed up in this statement, “They went out and came in,”and it was eating Saul alive! He was consumed with the idea of getting rid of David. And at the same time concerned about keeping up a good outward appearance. Here, he delivers on his promise to give his daughter in marriage to the one who slew Goliath, and makes a big show about asking David to be valiant and fight the Lord's battles. In reality he could care less about the Lord's battles, he just wanted the Philistines to take David out. “For Saul thought” is a key phrase here. The Holy Spirit who moved men to write these Scriptures, takes us beyond outward appearances. He sees the heart. He knows the hypocrite that Saul is and includes it in Scripture so that we might guard against such hypocrisy in our own lives. I'm amazed at how easily I forget that my secret thoughts aren't so secret. Jesus knows my every thought, He knows my heart. In Mt 9:4, we read, “But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts? And in Mt 12:25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation,” and in Lu 6:8 “But He knew their thoughts, and said to the man who had the withered hand, "Arise and stand here." Father, guard me from the sin of hypocrisy. Keep my heart open and pure, cleanse me from all my sins, even my sinful thoughts, in Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments :

Post a Comment