Search This Blog

Monday, January 14, 2013

The Wrong Road of Nicey Nicey

# 221 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 15:24 Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. 25 "Now therefore, please pardon my sin, and return with me, that I may worship the LORD." 26 But Samuel said to Saul, "I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD has rejected you from being king over Israel." At first glance, Saul's confession of sin seems more than adequate, but is it? Notice how he blames the people for his actions. True confession, doesn't seek arguments to justify our sins. When David was confronted by Nathan with his sin concerning Bathsheeba, he didn't use excuses. He simply said, ”I have sinned against the Lord.” Saul then asks Samuel to return with him. This is the equivalent of saying, “let the people see that you are still hanging out with me, that way I will still look good in the eyes of the people.” But Samuel says, “I will not hang out with you! I will not give the impression that all is well, when it isn't.” The Lord has rejected you because you reject His Word!” This episode in Samuel serves as a reminder to the church today, to practice proper church discipline with those who reject God's Word. We are not to let unrepentant sinners hang out in the congregation. It sends the message that all is well when it really isn't, and if you truly love that person, then you will seek to confront them using the principles found in Mt 18, praying for their restoration and reconciliation. This is a painful process to be sure, but a responsibility that Jesus has given to His church. He said in Joh 20:23 "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained." Samuel was informing Saul, that his sins were being retained, because he lacked true repentance. The question is, do we have enough love for the Body of Christ and our erring brother to do the same? Or will we continue down the road of nicey nicey that leads uncorrected sinners to hell?

No comments :

Post a Comment