Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

One Thing At A Time

# 228 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 16:2 And Samuel said, "How can I go? If Saul hears it, he will kill me." And the LORD said, "Take a heifer with you, and say, 'I have come to sacrifice to the LORD.' 3 "Then invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do; you shall anoint for Me the one I name to you." I mentioned last time that Samuel was likely in the midst of a personal pity party and look at his first response to God's charge to snap out of it and go to Bethlehem to anoint a new king. He reaches into his excuse bag. If that isn't typical, I don't know what is. We don't like to leave our pity parties do we? I love the Lord's response to Samuel. He doesn't say, “aw don't worry, He won't kill you.” No, He makes no such promise. He just gives him some preliminary instructions, some steps to take to show God that he is all in. But even in these instructions we find the promise that God will be with Samuel until he gets the job done. “you shall anoint for Me the one I name to you.” So, here are God's simple instructions to Samuel. Go to Bethlehem, take a heifer with you. If anyone asks what you are up to, just say you are going to sacrifice to the Lord. When you get to Bethlehem be sure to invite Jesse and his family to the sacrifice. If I'm Samuel. I'm asking, “Then what?” But there is no, then what. Only a “do these things, and then I will tell you what.” Samuel, was a man of faith, and a man of faith doesn't need the whole story to act. A man of faith knows that all he needs to do is to take care of what God puts on his plate at the moment, one thing at a time. God will take care of the results and provide further instructions when necessary. This is a good thing to know and a great way to live. The Levite and the priest left the man in the ditch because they had other things on their plate, and they missed the morsel that God had placed before them. The Good Samaritan didn't. Look for those little morsels of opportunities to be obedient in your life today, and then take them.

No comments :

Post a Comment