Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The Sin of Prayerlessness

# 162 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 12:23a "Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you; (1 Sam 12:23a) It was back in verse 19, that the people begged Samuel to “pray for your servants to the Lord your God, that we may not die.” This intercessory prayer for others is so important that Samuel calls the neglect of this prayer a sin against the Lord! Whoa! A sin? This not just some one shot deal restricted to Samuel either! This is for you and I, and all who claim to be followers of Christ. Listen to what the Apostle Paul says to Timothy in regards to intercessory prayer, “ I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you (Timothy) in my prayers night and day,” (2 Tim 1:3) What is he thanking God for? That he remembers to pray for Timothy! Point 1. When the Holy Spirit brings someone to mind to pray for....thank God! Why? Because you are serving God with a pure conscience just as Samuel did, and just as Paul did, and just as everyone does when they pray for others. To have a pure conscience in a matter is to not have guilt over it. It is, as Samuel put it, to not “sin against the Lord.” These prayers are a matter of obedience! I don't know about you, but I find myself greatly convicted here. How many times have I told someone I would pray for them and then, “out of sight, out of mind?” I just forget! I know better. I know the proper thing to do when someone asks for prayer is to stop what I'm doing and pray! To neglect to do this is to invite sin. Well, thankfully as with all sin, it is forgivable. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness, (1 Jn 1:9) Holy Spirit, help me to heed any and all of Your calls to prayer.

No comments :

Post a Comment