Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

He Didn't Reach for the Morphine Button

# 740- Today's Du-votional comes from: Mr 15:23 Then they gave Him wine mingled with myrrh to drink, but He did not take it Wine mingled with myrrh. This was a common cocktail served up by the Roman soldiers to those undergoing the excruciating pain of crucifixion. This cocktail was the equivalent of our morphine or vicodin. When I had knee replacement surgery, the doctor prescribed vicodin to help me deal with the pain. I was glad to have it. It helped me deal with the constant throbbing I could feel in my knee and enabled me to be more diligent in my physical therapy that was so necessary to healing. What kind of throbbing pain do you suppose Jesus was feeling as He hung on that cross for you and me? Yet He refused the only pain medication that was offered Him. In refusing this medication, Jesus was not going to mask in any way, the effects of human sin. The wrath of God against humanity for sin was completely poured out on Jesus. He could've hit the morphine button, but He didn't. And our deepest and most hurtful affronts to God, abortion, adultery, idolatry....you name it was not masked. It was paid in full. Understand that and stop trying to mask the pain of your sins through your own escape mechanisms. (Drugs, alcohol, promiscuity, and any and all other addictive behavior.) Let Jesus handle the pain brought on by sin in your life. I know it's difficult, but He will help you through those painful times. Don't reach for the morphine button, or the vicodin, rather reach for the cross, confessing your sins and experience the relief of knowing that God has forgiven you. Father, I pray especially today for those who are still seeking relief from the pain of their sins. Let them be set free as they trust in the forgiveness offered through Jesus

No comments :

Post a Comment