Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lascivio What?

# 465 - Today's Living Word comes from Mr 7:21,22 "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, "thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness.

Next on the list of “evil things,” is lewdness. The King James uses the word, “lasciviousness” here and it's a better choice of words simply because modern day usage of the term, “lewdness” restricts this “evil thing” to improper sexual behavior. It's more than that.

A good picture of modern day “lewdness” would be the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. This annual event is a snapshot of unrestrained sensuality. The term lasciviousness, on the other hand, means “readiness for all pleasure.” There is a subtle difference.

A lascivious person is one who acknowledges no restraints. They are governed by sensual impulses rather than the Word of God. If it feels good, they WILL do it. Lewdness may break out, but lasciviousness is never corralled in the first place. It is in total bondage to the flesh.

I don't like to picture myself parading down Bourbon Street in New Orleans during Mardi Gras, but that's what I must look like to my heavenly Father whenever I lose His gift of self-control and OVERINDULGE in any and all sensual pleasures.

“Father, thank You for all that is good and pleasant. I acknowledge that my flesh would live on nothing but pleasure if it could. Forgive me for those times when I give in to my flesh and serve it and love it more than You. Help me to enjoy those good and pleasant things You provide and at the same time learn to exercise your gift of self-control. In Jesus name, Amen

I'm Duane Matz and that's Today's Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment