Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Anxiety Part 4 The Sword of the Spirit

 

 

I’ve been spending time addressing the matter of anxiety the past couple of days, I hope it has been helpful, but I’m not done yet.

 

Today I want to pass along some Bible verses that helped me in my own personal struggle with anxiety and panic attacks. God has not left us defenseless in these matters1 2Co 10:4 reminds us that God has given us weapons to use against our enemy! For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,

 

Our weapons are spiritual and God’s Word used as a sounding board for our prayers is our chief spiritual weapon.

So let’s unsheathe the sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God) and start fighting back! (Eph 6:17)

 

When your personal peace is being robbed by anxiety open your Bible to Ps 18:6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, And my cry came before Him, even to His ears.

 

 And in verses 16-19, “He took me; He drew me out of many waters. 

17 He delivered me from my strong enemy, From those who hated me, For they were too strong for me.  18 They confronted me in the day of my calamity, (the moments of anxiety)  But the LORD was my support.  19 He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me.

 

Think of that broad place for a minute. It’s what the panic stricken person is looking for….room to breathe! Out of the elevator, the plane, or the trash compactor!

 

This heartfelt crying out to God is an oft emphasized strategy in dealing with distress in Scripture:

 

Ps 120:1 In my distress I cried to the LORD, And He heard me.

 

 2Sa 22:7 In my distress I called upon the LORD, And cried out to my God; He heard my voice from His temple, And my cry entered His ears.

 

 Ps 34:4 I sought the LORD, and He heard me, And delivered me from all my fears. (Delivered from what? ALL MY FEARS!

5 They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces were not ashamed. (The release from anxiety and panic shows forth in a changed countenance. The constant frown of the worry wart is relaced with the shine of a peace that passes all understanding.

 

 

I don’t want to be overly simplistic in the cure for anxiety. I’m just sharing the things that helped me. Some may help you, some may not, and I know full well that my battle ain’t over yet! It could raise it’s ugly head again in my life at any time!

 

I know this too, there is much more that God has said in His Word about the matter of peace versus anxiety and fear.  The key is to get into the Word of God and let the Word of God get into you. Be patient as you allow the Holy Spirit  to speak to you through His Word.

 

Setting your mind on things above and our Lord’s return can often divert our attention away from those things that are leading us down the road to anxiety.

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment