Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2021

The Six-fold Woes: Woe #2

 


Isa 5:11 Woe to those who rise early in the morning, That they may follow intoxicating drink; Who continue until night, till wine inflames them! 12 The harp and the strings, The tambourine and flute, And wine are in their feasts; But they do not regard the work of the LORD, Nor consider the operation of His hands. 13 Therefore my people have gone into captivity, Because they have no knowledge; Their honorable men are famished, And their multitude dried up with thirst.

 

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and by the grace of God, I ain’t goin’ back Jack! Woe to those who allow alcohol and partying (represented here by harps strings, tambourine, and flute) to wag their tail rather than live in regard to the workings of the Lord.

 

Such people are taken captive by their desire for debauchery, to the point that any knowledge of God and His righteousness is gone! Out of sight….out of mind….let the good times roll unchecked!

The once “honorable” man is famished from a lack of feeding on the Bread of Life, and his thirsty soul is dried up with the ravages of alcohol as opposed to being filled with the Living Water that is Jesus.

 

I see now that my past struggles with alcohol abuse was a means of escape from a reality that I, (for some reason or another) couldn’t deal with, but here’s the thing, every morning amidst the hangover….that reality, (whatever it was) was still “hanging over” me. No wonder they call it a hangover!

 

Thankfully, by the grace of God, I, like the prodigal, came to my senses. Confessed my sin, repented of it, and now, the only “hangover” I have is the cross of Christ hanging over me, assuring me of my forgiveness, and leading me to a new life in Christ.

 

To those struggling with addiction today. I say God knows; He cares. He wants to free you from this captivity and help you escape to the life He has created for you. Trust Him. Surrender to Him! He is the true Bread of Life and Living Water for your thirsty soul’

No comments :

Post a Comment