Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

# 302 A.C.T.S.


The Book of Genesis

Day 302


Ge 32:9 Then Jacob said, "O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, the LORD who said to me, 'Return to your country and to your family, and I will deal well with you':  10 "I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant; for I crossed over this Jordan with my staff, and now I have become two companies.  11 "Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and attack me and the mother with the children.  12 "For You said, 'I will surely treat you well, and make your descendants as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.'"

This is the first recorded petition that Jacob addressed to God and we can learn much from it concerning the “how to’s” of prayer!

He begins his prayer by addressing God as he knows Him. "O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, the LORD who said to me, 'Return to your country and to your family, and I will deal well with you':  This is how Jesus told us to begin our prayers as well. He said, “when you pray say, “Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.  This is addressing God as we know Him, and is a form of praise and adoration.

Jacob then continues his prayer by acknowledging his sinfulness, (“I am not worthy,”) Likewise when we pray, we should confess our sins and our own unworthiness! We should agree with God, that we are sinners and unworthy of His mercy and truth. Ponder His mercy! Ponder the truths that He has revealed to you! Thank Him for the blessings you have received and acknowledge that they came from Him! Jacob recounts how he came to Laban with nothing but a staff in his hand and now has grown to two companies!

After giving thanks, Jacob brings his supplication (his request) “Deliver me, from the hand of my brother Esau.” Then he tells God why he is asking for this, “For I fear him, lest he come and attack me and my family.”

He concludes his prayer by quoting a promise from God, which is really nothing more than giving God a reason to answer his prayer.

This entire prayer can be found in the model of the Lord’s Prayer if you look for it, and it’s also a great example of prayer for our own lives using the A.C.T.S. model. (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication.) Remember it, and use it as a guide the next time you pray!

No comments :

Post a Comment