Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2018

# 199 Power For Living



The Book of Genesis

Day 198


Ge 22:1 Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am.”

I want to revisit Abraham’s response To God’s call because it is the key to powerful Christian living. If you find yourself frustrated with a faith that you feel is a bit anemic, then this devotion is for you!

“Here I am.” When these three words are spoken from the heart, they are the first steps of walking with the King! First of all they speak of hearing. By saying, “Here I am,” Abraham tells God, “I heard Your call. The response implies a willingness to do the Lord’s bidding. The powerful living comes as God uses our willing obedience to accomplish His purposes. Just listen to the roll call of some of the saints who responded to God’s call with a cheery readiness to obey.

Jacob in Gen 31:11, and in Gen 46:2.
Moses in Ex 3:4
Samuel in 1 Sam 3:4
Isaiah in Isa 6:8.
None of these men were extraordinary in that they  put their pants on one leg at a time just like you and I, but they heard God’s call, and responded with readiness to obey.

I don’t care what your education status is. I don’t care what your social standing is. God can and wants to use you!

When Jesus called the twelve, He said, “Follow Me.” And as these twelve responded to that call, they were in effect saying with Abraham, “Here I am.” When Paul is knocked to the ground on his way to Damascus, He says, “”Lord what do You want me to do?” (In effect, “Here I am.”
Ananais who was to meet Paul in Damascus hears the Lord call his name and he replied, “Here I am.”
Cornelius is praying, and an angel calls his name. “Cornelius!” and he replied. “What is it Lord, ” and another ordinary man throws his lot in with God. Meanwhile Peter also responds to the Lord’s call as he prays on a rooftop and the Good News is preached to the Gentiles in Cornelius’ house!

This power for living is available for ordinary people like you and I, but nothing will happen unless we first hear the Lord! Faith (active obedience) comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of the Lord. So we begin by surrendering to the Lord, (coming to faith) and then reading His word with ready hearts looking for instructions on how to live, and responding to His many commands and promises. 

Make it a priority to spend undistracted time in His word on a daily basis. Allow Him to speak to your heart, and respond like these ordinary saints of the Bible who said, “Here I am Lord, what is it that You would have me do? Then be watchful as your day unfolds as the Lord provides opportunity to respond.

Pray: Here I am Lord, I present my body a living sacrifice to You. What is it that You would have me do today.

No comments :

Post a Comment