Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2018

# 192 A Lesson From Lurch



The Book of Genesis

Day 192


Ge 22:1 Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."

Two of my favorite phrases in Scripture show up in this one verse! I know you are probably tired of me bringing up the first one. “It came to pass” shows up 452 times in Scripture, and it always precedes a significant event that God has given the green light to. This significant event was designed to test the faith of Abraham!

We’ll spend some time talking about this test later, but right now I want to zero in on my second favorite phrase. This is another phrase that has been used by men of God throughout Scripture, giving their own green light to God! God calls these men, and they respond with “Here I am” which is another way of saying, “At your service Lord!”

This phrase was uttered by the likes of Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Samuel, Isaiah, and Ananais, (the man who baptized the Apostle Paul,)  What great men of God! Their secret….ready and willing to serve. These men are examples for all of us as to what God can do in the life of a person who is ready and willing to serve. They were like Lurch, the butler in the Adams family. Remember his response to his master? “You rang.” This was their attitude toward their Master, albeit there’s a little cheerier than Lurch.

Let me run you through a very brief exercise that you can do each and every day to prepare yourself for this kind of service to God.   Ro 12:1 says, “ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

The Holy Spirit, speaking through the Apostle Paul BEGS the brethren (believers) by the mercies of God, (because of the mercy that God has extended to us through Christ) that we present our bodies a living sacrifice. (We love on Him, because He first loved on us.) (1 Jn 4:19) 

This idea of presenting ourselves as living sacrifices is really just another way of saying, “Here I am, Lord, presenting myself to you.”  At your service. You rang! What is it that You would have me do?
The holy acceptable part is the idea of receiving Christ’s forgiveness as you daily remember what He did for you in your baptism. This along with confession of sin,  makes you a fit vessel for service, the log is out of your eye, and you are ready to serve.

I guarantee you that if you have that kind of an attitude, that kind of a daily routine that God will allow things to pass, that will give you an opportunity to exercise( or test if you will)  your faith!  If you start your day with that “Here I am” attitude, you put yourself in some pretty good company!

Pray: Lord, by Your mercies, I offer my services to You today. Here I am Lord, what is it that You would have me do?

No comments :

Post a Comment