Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

# 105 Mistakes Are Made

The Book of Genesis Day 105 Ge 12:11 And it came to pass, when he was close to entering Egypt, that he said to Sarai his wife, "Indeed I know that you are a woman of beautiful countenance. 12 "Therefore it will happen, when the Egyptians see you, that they will say, 'This is his wife'; and they will kill me, but they will let you live. 13 "Please say you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that I may live because of you." 14 So it was, when Abram came into Egypt, that the Egyptians saw the woman, that she was very beautiful. 15 The princes of Pharaoh also saw her and commended her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken to Pharaoh's house. There’s that phrase again, “it came to pass,” the situation involving Abram’s fear has come before God, and He allows the scenario to continue, He ”allows it to pass.” What will Abram do? Will he give in to fear? As great as Abram’s faith was, don’t you find it hard to believe that he could actually give his wife up to the Egyptians? Well if you’ve ever been gripped by fear, maybe you can identify with Abram! Fear will often cause us to do stupid things! But this “fear” of Abram’s did not begin here We get more details about this “fear” of Abrams from an incident that would take place 20 years later! That’s right, 20 years later Abram would attempt to pull off the exact same stunt with the king of Gerar. The king, (Abimelech) asked Abram why he tried to do such a thing, Abram said, “But indeed, she truly is my sister. She is the daughter of my father , but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife. (The laws against this kind of a relationship were not yet codified by God through Moses as found in Lev 18) And it came to pass when God caused me to wander from my father’s house, that I said to her, this is your kindness that you should do for me; in every place, wherever we go, say of me, He is my brother.” Wow! This was Abram’s plan from the beginning and Sarai knew about it, and she hung with her man in spite of it! No wonder the Holy Spirit speaking through Peter in 1Pe 3:5,6 gives her special honor! “ For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands, 6 as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, whose daughters you are if you do good and are not afraid with any terror.” In this instance, Sarah had more trust in God than Abram did! With this plan in Abram’s mind before the journey even began, one can see how quick he was to call on it, when he found himself in these sticky situations. Maybe he didn’t think he’d have to use that plan when he took off in faith for Canaan, but “it came to pass,” that he would have to decide. His “hedged” bet was called by the famine that forced him to travel to Egypt. When “it came to pass,” he blinked, he made a mistake, but it was one that God covered for him as we shall see. God was more interested in Abram’s willingness to follow Him, knowing that Abram would make mistakes along the way, but God would use these mistakes to grow Abram’s faith. You and I often hedge our bets as we step out in faith. You and I will make mistakes as we choose to follow Jesus. Of course we try not to, but mistakes will come. But God is more interested in your willingness to continue following Him. He is more interested in growing your faith, and there is a wonderful verse in Scripture that helps us to move on after our mistakes. It is found in 1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Don’t let your mistakes turn you away from following Jesus, confess those mistakes. Receive His promised forgiveness, and move on. “Go, and sin no more!” Pray: Lord, help my faith to grow as I learn to trust You in all things, and cover my mistakes through the precious blood of Your Son, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments :

Post a Comment