Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Importance of Witnesses

213 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 2Ti 2:2 “And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.” (2 Tim 2:2) Paul continues his last instructions to Timothy. As I read this verse something jumps out at me and I feel it is worth pursuing. First of all, let me say that one of my favorite verses in the Bible, and I believe one of the most important, is found in 2Ti 3:16, “ All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,” That verse has caused me to slam on the brakes more than once as I seek to expound on the Scriptures, and it happens again here today in this verse. It says “ALL Scripture” and as I read our text today I find myself wondering what to do with the phrase “among many witnesses.” Why did the Holy Spirit include that phrase? Why not just say, “And the things that you have heard from me commit these to faithful men Wasn't Paul's one on one sessions with Timothy good enough? I'm sure Paul handed many gems down to Timothy one on one, but Paul includes a safeguard here in the matter of passing truth down to the next generation. Truth requires more than one witness! 2Co 13:1b says, “By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established." This safeguard allows for every teaching that Timothy received from Paul and subsequently passed down to the next generation to be attested to by other witnesses. It's not just Timothy saying, “well Paul told me once,” but rather “Paul has told us!” Do you see the difference? I think that's one of the great values of seminary classes. The teachings are handed down in front of many witnesses and safeguards are in place for any loose cannons. There is accountability built in! Even as a pastor of the local congregation seeks to mentor others, it is wise to go beyond one on one, just for the sake of accountability, because the standard in the Bible is, “By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established."

No comments :

Post a Comment