Search This Blog

Thursday, August 21, 2014

These Prime Time Devo's are heard on my radio program shortly before 6p.m. every Monday thru Friday on 91.9,91.5 The Family. When I have the day off, or when regularly scheduled programming is interrupted, the Prime Devo does not air, and I don't update it on my blog. So once again I am posting a repeat Devo. This one aired on August 21, 2012. it's called "Tell the Story." Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 1Sa 7:12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer, saying, "Thus far the LORD has helped us." (1 Sa 7:12) The Ebenezer stone. The monument set up by Samuel to remind the people of the Lord's help in their battle with the enemy. The name itself a testimony to a time when the people were delivered from the Philistines. This stone would give a reason to explain to all who passed by who the Lord is and what He is capable of doing. Fathers and their children could even take a pilgrimage to the spot and the father could relate the story to their children. That's what monuments do. They tell stories of what has been done. Jacob set up a monument at the place where he had the vision of the angels ascending and descending to earth. Joshua set up twelve stones at the place where the Israelites crossed the Jordan. These stones were always meant to tell the story of God's redemptive work among the people, and they were meant for all the generations that would follow. I don't have a pile of stones set up in any geographical area, but I do have a file in my computer that I call thanksgiving stones. This file is my permanent record of God's redemptive workings in my own life. When things happen in my life that can only be explained by the power of God, I make note of them. I like to take them out and read them periodically. They are great faith strengtheners and help prepare me for any future spiritual battles that I may face. They remind me that “thus far the Lord has helped me.” There is one monument, one Ebeneezer that we should never overlook. It's called the cross. Crosses are everywhere, unfortunately they have often become merely a piece of jewelry to adorn our necks, or part of the dressing of a building. But they should be used as a tool by us to tell the story of “God so loved the world.” It's what monuments do, they tell stories. The next time you see a cross, use it as an opportunity to tell the story of Christ's love for the world.

No comments :

Post a Comment