Search This Blog

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Pain of Tearing Asunder

427 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 3:12-16, “Then Abner sent messengers on his behalf to David, saying, "Whose is the land?" saying also, "Make your covenant with me, and indeed my hand shall be with you to bring all Israel to you." 13 And David said, "Good, I will make a covenant with you. But one thing I require of you: you shall not see my face unless you first bring Michal, Saul's daughter, when you come to see my face." 14 So David sent messengers to Ishbosheth, Saul's son, saying, "Give me my wife Michal, whom I betrothed to myself for a hundred foreskins of the Philistines." 15 And Ishbosheth sent and took her from her husband, from Paltiel the son of Laish. 16 Then her husband went along with her to Bahurim, weeping behind her. So Abner said to him, "Go, return!" And he returned.” Abner is ready to deal with David. He promises to deliver the rest of Israel to David if David will make a covenant with him. David has only one stipulation. Abner must bring Saul's daughter Michal to him. If you recall, Michal was David's first wife. He had paid for her by delivering 100 foreskins of the Philistines to Saul. But then Saul took her away from David and gave her to Paltiel. Before we get too sentimental over this request of David to be reunited with his first wife, the cold hard fact is, this was probably nothing more than a political move to strengthen David's hand. Remember, this is Saul's daughter. To possess her, is to further weaken any resistance from the house of Saul against him. In other words, this was just another power play by David with Michal serving as a pawn. Pay special attention to the pain of Paltiel as his bride is taken away: “Then her husband went along with her to Bahurim, weeping behind her.” I wonder how many marriages today are torn apart by similar selfish ambitions of another party. Sometimes the decision to leave a marriage is made a little too hastily, and the full impact on those left behind is not taken into consideration and entire families are left behind wounded and weeping. I was at a funeral several weeks ago and as I spoke to the widow, she said the death of her husband was like her soul was split in half. This is the way it is with those things that God has joined together. Perhaps you have experienced this excruciating pain in your own life. God knows. He cares. He forgives and He heals. Look to Him, to pick up the pieces of your life and set you back on the path to wholeness and peace.

No comments :

Post a Comment