Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Loyalty

426 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 3:8-11, “ Then Abner became very angry at the words of Ishbosheth, and said, "Am I a dog's head that belongs to Judah? Today I show loyalty to the house of Saul your father, to his brothers, and to his friends, and have not delivered you into the hand of David; and you charge me today with a fault concerning this woman? 9 "May God do so to Abner, and more also, if I do not do for David as the LORD has sworn to him- 10 "to transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul, and set up the throne of David over Israel and over Judah, from Dan to Beersheba." 11 And he could not answer Abner another word, because he feared him. (2 Sam 3:8-11) Abner voices his displeasure with Ishbosheth's charge of dallying with the king's harem. “Am I a dog's head that belongs to Judah?” In other words, “are you saying that I am a traitor who has about as much control over lust as a dog does? How can you say such a thing to the man who has showed continued loyalty to the house of your father. Look Ishbosheth, you are on the throne only because I haven't turned you over to David. Well guess what? I swear to you today that I will turn your kingdom over to David.” As I read this, I can't help but think I have had similar heated discussions in my own life. It's like those times when you've made a mistake, and you are looking for an out. An opportunity presents itself for you to express your indignation, and you do, and in so doing you are able to extricate yourself from, what you consider to be, a bad situation. I think Abner could see that the reign of Ishbosheth was going nowhere and he would be better off throwing in with David. The grass appeared to be greener on that side of the fence. As we read on on this story, we will see that it's not....it never is. God appreciates loyalty. Let us all learn to be loyal to Him and others. 2Ch 16:9 says, "For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.” Is your loyalty being challenged today by the lure of greener grass? Stay the course, seek to follow God's will and His instructions, and He will reward your loyalty by showing Himself strong in your situation. Father, help me to cherish Your loyalty to me, that I might demonstrate loyalty to others.

No comments :

Post a Comment