Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

Integrity Is Not the Norm, Let It Be Found In Me

# 408 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 1:1-10, “Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David had returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and David had stayed two days in Ziklag, 2 on the third day, behold, it happened that a man came from Saul's camp with his clothes torn and dust on his head. So it was, when he came to David, that he fell to the ground and prostrated himself. 3 And David said to him, "Where have you come from?" So he said to him, "I have escaped from the camp of Israel." 4 Then David said to him, "How did the matter go? Please tell me." And he answered, "The people have fled from the battle, many of the people are fallen and dead, and Saul and Jonathan his son are dead also." 5 So David said to the young man who told him, "How do you know that Saul and Jonathan his son are dead?" 6 Then the young man who told him said, "As I happened by chance to be on Mount Gilboa, there was Saul, leaning on his spear; and indeed the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him. 7 "Now when he looked behind him, he saw me and called to me. And I answered, 'Here I am.' 8 "And he said to me, 'Who are you?' So I answered him, 'I am an Amalekite.' 9 "He said to me again, 'Please stand over me and kill me, for anguish has come upon me, but my life still remains in me.' 10 "So I stood over him and killed him, because I was sure that he could not live after he had fallen. And I took the crown that was on his head and the bracelet that was on his arm, and have brought them here to my lord." We begin the Book of 2 Samuel today, which is the story of David's reign in Israel. There is a smooth transition here as the news of Saul's death is now brought to David. This Amalekite who stumbles into David's camp tells an entirely different story about Saul's death than what we have just read in 1 Samuel 31! Which account are we to believe? …..Believe the first. This Amalekite is one of those breed of men that Victor Hugo spoke of in Les Miserables. He wrote, “”after the conquerors, come the robbers.” These are the people who follow battles and strip the dead of their valuables. This Amalekite had stumbled upon the body of Saul and saw it as an opportunity to find great favor with David. Will he? Stay tuned! Father, integrity is not the norm in this sin-filled world, but let it be found in me.

No comments :

Post a Comment