Search This Blog

Friday, May 9, 2014

To the Cross I Cling

# 393 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 30:5,6, “And David's two wives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the widow of Nabal the Carmelite, had been taken captive. 6 Now David was greatly distressed, for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and his daughters. But David strengthened himself in the LORD his God. (1 Sam 30:5,6) David and his men return to camp and find that their wives, sons, and daughters had been taken captive. This was failed leadership on the part of David. While he was feigning loyalty to the Philistines, he left the camp unguarded and easy prey for the marauders. His men were so grieved over their lost loved ones that they spoke of stoning David to death. You and I might feel the same way in similar circumstances. This whole situation causes David to be greatly stressed. The word “stress” here is the idea of getting pressed in on all sides. It's the feeling of being in a trash compactor. Sometimes life is like that. For whatever reason, we find ourselves pressed in on all sides. What to do? Follow David's example and “strengthen yourself in the Lord.” The word used here means to attach oneself to something, it means to cling, to adhere. Sometimes, that's all you can do. I remember some of the intense spiritual battles I faced early on in my Christian walk. Pressed in on all sides I felt like just giving up. I mean, before I came to Christ, I didn't have all of these struggles. By the grace of God, I realized that to turn back would be utter foolishness and so I clung. Sometimes this clinging felt so fragile that it seemed like all I had left for a grip was a thread. But I hung on, and time after time after time, God pulled me through. I am not so foolish to think that my days in the trash compactor are over, but when the switch is thrown and the sides start closing in on me, I know that I need to adhere to Jesus. It is at times like these that I remember the classic hymn, “Rock of Ages.” Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling, Naked, come to Thee for dress, helpless, look to Thee for grace.” Father, help those today who are being squeezed. Give them the strength to cling to Jesus.

No comments :

Post a Comment