Search This Blog

Monday, November 4, 2013

Communing With God In Nature

# 276 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 20:10-13, “Then David said to Jonathan, "Who will tell me, or what if your father answers you roughly?" 11 And Jonathan said to David, "Come, and let us go out into the field." So both of them went out into the field. 12 Then Jonathan said to David: "The LORD God of Israel is witness! When I have sounded out my father sometime tomorrow, or the third day, and indeed there is good toward David, and I do not send to you and tell you, 13 "may the LORD do so and much more to Jonathan. But if it pleases my father to do you evil, then I will report it to you and send you away, that you may go in safety. And the LORD be with you as He has been with my father. (1 Sam 20:10-13) In our reading today, I want to zero in on where Jonathan took David to explain his plan and make the covenant. They went to an open field. In this field, it was just Jonathan, David, and the Lord. There is something special about communing with God in His creation. As you look around and take in your surroundings, Psalm 19:1,2 comes to mind: “The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork. 2 Day unto day utters speech, And night unto night reveals knowledge.” Recently I was blessed to be a part of a men's prayer retreat at Camp Luwisimo in Wild Rose Wisconsin. At this camp there is a hill you can walk up, and at the top of the hill is a cross. It's an amazing place because you really don't realize how high up you are until you reach the top and turn around. The view almost takes your breath away and I'm told you can see five counties from this one particular spot. Add to that the beautiful Wisconsin fall colors and, well, you get the idea. When I'm in an open field, or in the midst of a forest, when I think of God, I cannot help but consider how small I am in relation to all of His creation. This always puts things in their proper perspective for me as I wonder with the psalmist, “who am I God, that You are mindful of me. Father, thank You for Your marvelous creation.

No comments :

Post a Comment