Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fasting For Healing

# 265 Today’s Living Word comes from Mark 2:18 “The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were fasting.”

Fasting is a beneficial spiritual discipline that seems to have been forgotten by the church today. In the days ahead, let us take some time to see what the Bible has to say about fasting and it’s benefits.

Do you know someone who is ill? Have you thought of fasting on their behalf? In the 35th Psalm, David speaks of such activity on behalf of his enemies! “But as for me, when they were sick, My clothing was sackcloth; I humbled myself with fasting;... I paced about as though he were my friend or brother; I bowed down heavily, as one who mourns for his mother.”

Imagine that! Instead of a “serves him right,” kind of attitude, David fasts on behalf of his enemy hoping and praying that God will make him well. Fasting for healing was the normal practice in Scripture.

When David’s child born out of his adulterous relationship with Bathsheba became ill, he fasted. Though the child did not live, David did all that he could do in the spiritual realm, the rest was left up to God and His perfect will.

Is someone among you sick? Have you thought of fasting on their behalf?

I’m Duane Matz and that’s today’s Living Word.

No comments :

Post a Comment