Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Be Thankful For the Thorns

1Th 5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.


I want to share a story with you today that came across my desk some nine years ago. It’s called the Thanksgiving Special:

Nancy walked into the florist shop feeling as cold as the November breeze. Her life had been going along just fine but then in the 4th month of her pregnancy, a minor automobile accident took the life of her unborn child. The child would’ve arrived sometime during this Thanksgiving week. But now, she felt so empty.

If that weren’t enough her husband was facing possible job transfer to another state. Then her sister, who’s holiday visits were always a highlight called to say that she wouldn’t be able to make it this year. Nancy was just not in the holiday spirit this year.

To make it worse, a close friend of hers infuriated her just a couple of days ago by suggesting that her grief was a God-given path to maturity that would allow her to empathize with others who suffer. Who did this high and mighty friend think she was????? Had she lost a child?? No! She had no idea what Nancy was feeling. Thanksgiving? Thankful for what? For a careless truck driver whose truck was hardly scratched when he rear-ended her? For an airbag that saved her life but took that of her child?

Just then the clerk interrupted her thoughts with a “Good morning, can I help you?

Uh, .....I need an arrangement.

“For Thanksgiving”

Yes please,

Do you want beautiful but ordinary? a harvest theme? or are you looking for something that conveys gratitude? If so may I suggest the Thanksgiving Special?


Nancy couldn’t believe the next words that came out of her mouth. She found herself sharing her story of grief with this perfect stranger, and then apologizing for dumping all her troubles on the clerk, but the clerk said, “Oh, I have the perfect arrangement for you!” But before she could explain another customer came into the shop.

Hi Barbara! I’ll be out with your order shortly. She whisked into the back room and soon appeared with an arrangement of greenery, bows, and long-stemmed thorny roses............only, the ends of the rose stems were neatly snipped off.....there were no flowers.

Nancy couldn’t believe it, but even more she couldn’t believe Barbara’a reaction.

“Oh these are just beautiful!” You’d think after three years of getting the special I wouldn’t be as moved , but its happening again. My family will love this arrangement.” And she walked out the door very pleased.

Nancy couldn’t remain silent.....’Uh.....that lady just paid you money and left with no flowers!

Right, the clerk said, I cut off the flowers.”

Off?

Yep, that’s the Thanksgiving Special.

But why do people pay for that?

DO you really want to know?

Yes I do.

Barbara came to my shop 3 years ago feeling pretty much the way you are feeling today. She thought she had very little to be thankful for. She had lost her father to cancer, the family business was failing, her son was into drugs, and she was facing major surgery.

That same year, I had lost my husband. I took over full responsibility for running the business, and for the first time in my life I was going to be marking the holidays alone. No family nearby and too great a debt to allow for any travel. I was very depressed.

What did you do?

I learned to be thankful for the thorns.

For the thorns?

Yes, the rough things in life. Oh I was quick to thank God for the good things in my life, but very slow to say thanks for the tough things. It took time for me to learn that the dark times are important too.

I always enjoyed the “roses” of life but it took thorns to show me the beauty of God’s comfort. . The Bible says that God comforts us when we’re afflicted and from His consolation, we learn to comfort others. (2Co 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,
4 who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.)

Nancy gasped audibly, “Why that’s what my friend was trying to tell me, but she just made me mad! I guess the truth is I really don’t want comfort. I’ve lost a baby and I’m angry with God!

Just then another customer came in.

Hey Phil, the clerk said are you here for the yearly special?

You bet I am. The clerk handed the thorny arrangement to him and he joyfully exclaimed, “Oh my wife will love these!”

Nancy asked, “These are for your wife?”

Oh, yea. 4 years ago my wife and I nearly divorced. After 40 years, we were in a real mess, but we slogged through, problem by rotten problem. Today our marriage is stronger than ever. Last year when I stopped in here I was a little down in the dumps and that’s when I found out about the Thanksgiving special. My wife and I decided to label each thorny stem for the different thorny situations we have encountered. It’s becoming a tradition at our house. The man left the floral shop with a little more bounce in his step.

Nancy, looked at the clerk and said, “I don’t know if I can be thankful for the thorns in my life.

The clerk replied, “Well, my experience has been that thorns make roses more precious. We treasure God’s providential care more during trouble than at any other time. Don’t forget.....Jesus wore a crown of thorns so that we might know His love.......I’ve learned to never resent thorns.”

Tears rolled down Nancy’s cheeks. For the first time since the accident she loosened her grip on her resentment. Between sobs she managed to say, “I’ll take 12 long-stemmed thorns please.”

I hoped you would, every time you see them appreciate the good and the bad times, for all are in God’s hands.

How much do I owe you.

Nothing, the first year is always free and I always attach this card. It is a saying from George Matheson, Read it!

“My God, I have never thanked You for my thorns. I have thanked You a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my thorns. Teach me the glory of the cross I bear. Teach me to value my thorns. Show me that I have climbed to You by the path of pain. Show me that my tears have made my rainbow.

Happy Thanksgiving Nancy!

Nancy smiled and opened the door Happy Thanksgiving she said, and took her first step toward hope and healing.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you! May this little story help all of us in our journeys of hope and healing.

Duane

No comments :

Post a Comment