Search This Blog

Friday, April 26, 2024

Come To Jesus Part 1

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

One of my favorite things to do is include classic devotional literature in my time of morning devotion. I typically cycle through these classics and find myself blessed by their timeless wisdom and encouragement.

 

One of my favorites is a 36 page booklet written by Neuman Hall entitled “Come To Jesus.”

 

The Booklet was first published in 1848 and by the end of the century, it had been published in 40 different languages and sold 4 million copies worldwide. I invite you to journey with me through this booklet, asking you to bear with the King James English and at the same time allowing these inspirational words to encourage you in your walk with Jesus.

 

Neuman begins with thoughts concerning an incident with the blind beggar Bartimaeus found in Mr 10:46-52, “ Now they came to Jericho. As He went out of Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the road begging.

 47 And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

 48 Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"

 49 So Jesus stood still and commanded him to be called. Then they called the blind man, saying to him, "Be of good cheer. Rise, He is calling you."

 50 And throwing aside his garment, he rose and came to Jesus.

 51 So Jesus answered and said to him, "What do you want Me to do for you?" The blind man said to Him, "Rabboni, that I may receive my sight."

 52 Then Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus on the road.

 

Neuman writes: A blind beggar by the wayside, hearing He was passing cried out for mercy. The people told him to be quiet, but he shouted the louder. Then some said, “be of good cheer, He calleth thee!” Sinner, be of good cheer! The same Jesus calleth thee!

 

As the blind man threw off his cloak lest it should hinder him, do you cast off every sin that would stop you? Rush through every crowd of difficulties and falling at the feet of Jesus, say, “Have mercy on me! I am blind! I am lost! Save, or I perish!”

 

Have you a guilty conscience? Come! A wicked heart? Come! Have nothing with which to purchase His favor? Without money? Come!

Rich and poor, masters and servants, old and young, white man and black, sinners of every class come!

 

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment