Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Making Room in the Inn

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

Heb 12:16 lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. 17 For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.

 

It’s Christmas! The time we celebrate the birth of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Do you understand what Esau gave away here?  He in effect was saying, I don’t care about the Messiah coming from my bloodline, I’d just as soon have a bowl of Dinty Moore beef stew.

 

His heart was so full of himself and his selfish desires that there was (just like Bethlehem) no room in the inn of his heart. He had no place for repentance.

 

This is a frightening reality. Repentance is the forerunner of salvation. John came preaching repentance, preparing the way for Jesus! But some rejected his call to repentance!

The companion verse to Heb 12:17 is found in Mt 12:31 Jesus said, "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.

 

What is your reaction to these verses? Do you find yourself wondering if you have committed the “unforgiveable sin? If so, praise God! Because if you’re concerned about it, you have ceased committing it.

 

I speak of one who formerly lived a life of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I could’ve cared less about God, Jesus, the Bible, the Holy Spirit. Just show me where the next party is, so I can have a bowl of beer!  

 

And I know, that if God would’ve cashed in my chips during that time, I would be spending time with that thief on the cross who didn’t make it.

 

But God in His grace and mercy, made room in my heart for repentance, and all I can say is thank You Jesus! For I know one day I will be with you in Paradise!

 

So again, if you are troubled by these verses, if you are in despair over your salvation. Rejoice! The Spirit of God is bringing conviction to your heart! He is opening the door of surrender to you! Take it. Call on the name of Jesus and be saved!

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment