Search This Blog

Friday, September 1, 2023

Love Does Not Behave Rudely (Shamefully)

 

I’m Duane Matz and welcome to Today’s Living Word.

 

The greatest proof of the presence of the Holy Spirit in an individual or a congregation is the expression of agape love. But what is love? Today we’ll continue to look at Holy Spirit directed love as found in the love chapter of the Bible….1 Cor 13!

 

We pick it up in verse 5, where we have another example of what agape is not! 1Co 13:5 does not behave rudely

 

The essence of the Greek word here is shame. Agape love does not act in ways that would bring shame to the individual or the Body of Christ. This kind of behavior might get a sarcastic response from an onlooker that sounds like this: “Oh so that’s what it’s like to be a Christian!”

 

I remember it like it was yesterday. My mother and step father (who were not believers at the time) were visiting. My young son and I went outside to attempt to fly a kite that we had made out of newspaper. 

No matter what we tried, it would not fly, and as they were watching out the window, out of frustration I flew into a rage and destroyed that kite with my hands and feet. I think you get the picture!

 

We came into the house and my mother said, “Oh so that’s what it’s like to be a Christian.”

 

It’s not, and I knew it. I was cut to the heart by her remark, and the Holy Spirit took over. I immediately knelt at their feet and said, “No it’s not please forgive me.”

 

I don’t know how that simple act of humility played out in their lives, but I like to think it played a role in their coming to Christ a couple of months later.

 

Yes, agape loves does not bring shame upon the body of Christ, but if you slip up, as I did, be quick to humbly acknowledge it as wrong and confess it!

 

Because agape love seeks to avoid shameful behavior.

 

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment