Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2022

The Original Sinner's Prayer

 Good day! I’m Duane Matz and this is Today’s Living Word:

 

Most of you hearing or reading this today have heard of “the Sinners Prayer.” The late evangelist Billy Graham would ask people to come forward at his rallies and say the prayer that went something like this:

 

Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. Amen.”

 

Spoken from the heart, this is a powerful prayer, acknowledging our own sinfulness, and the price that Jesus paid to forgive our sins. It also expresses our desire to repent (turn from our sins) and follow Jesus as we invite Him to be the Lord  of our life.

 

This morning, as I was reading in the Book of Hosea, I stumbled across a couple of verses that might be called the “original; sinners prayer.” Follow along with me and see if you don’t agree.

 

Ho 14:1 O Israel, return to the LORD your God, For you have stumbled because of your iniquity; (This prayer is for the backslidden, those who have walked away from the faith, and are caught up in sin. God invites them here to “return” to the Lord

 2 Take words with you, When you return, take words with you! Say a prayer! A sinner’s prayer! And return to the LORD. Say to Him, "Take away all iniquity; Receive us graciously, (By Your grace, forgive our sins!) For we will offer the sacrifices of our lips.

 3 Assyria shall not save us, We will not ride on horses, Nor will we say anymore to the work of our hands, You are our gods.' (We acknowledge that we are not saved by our good works)  For in You the fatherless finds mercy."  (We rely solely on Your mercy. Amen.

 

The whole prayer may sound something lie this: Father God, I am a sinner who has strayed away from You and I am in need of Your forgiveness. I acknowledge my helpless estate and plead for Your mercy and grace. By Your mercy forgive me of my sins. Help me to return to You! In Jesus name, Amen.

I’m Duane Matz and that’s Today’s Living Word

No comments :

Post a Comment