Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

# 406 The Fear of God’s Grace


The Book of Genesis

Day 406


Ge 42:29 Then they went to Jacob their father in the land of Canaan and told him all that had happened to them, saying:  30 "The man who is lord of the land spoke roughly to us, and took us for spies of the country.  31 "But we said to him, 'We are honest men; we are not spies.  32 'We are twelve brothers, sons of our father; one is no more, and the youngest is with our father this day in the land of Canaan.'  33 "Then the man, the lord of the country, said to us, 'By this I will know that you are honest men: Leave one of your brothers here with me, take food for the famine of your households, and be gone.  34 'And bring your youngest brother to me; so I shall know that you are not spies, but that you are honest men. I will grant your brother to you, and you may trade in the land.'"  35 Then it happened as they emptied their sacks, that surprisingly each man's bundle of money was in his sack; and when they and their father saw the bundles of money, they were afraid.

The brothers arrive home without Simeon and retell the story to their father. As they unload the grain, they find all their money in their sacks and “they were afraid”….Jacob included. (The word for fear here, is “the emotional and intellectual anticipation of harm.” We’ve all been there….imagining the worst in our given situation.

They have been dealing with a harsh man, and now it looks like they ripped him off! This guy could pull up outside their tent at any minute and charge them with robbery, and they would have no legal leg to stand on.  At the same time, they realize that if they ever want to see Simeon again, they’ll have to go back to Egypt and face the music. So fear overcomes them as they imagine the worst.
I remember a similar kind of fear in my own life at my time of conversion. I was like that servant who buried his talent because he knew that the master was a harsh man. Maybe you had similar thoughts before your own conversion, maybe you are even entertaining them now. I mean, I knew the Law. The Ten Commandments had a lot to say about my present lifestyle, and it was all harsh. I was afraid of all the things I would have to give up if I chose to follow Christ.

It was like I had this sack placed before me, and along with all the fear, there was this sweet promise of grace. Unconditional forgiveness, and mercy. As I peered deeper into the sack of salvation, there, with the Bread of Life, was all my money, all my good works. God didn’t want them! The Master was offering salvation to me for free, and yet I was afraid.

I was afraid He would come along later and make demands of me. He would demand that I give up drinking and partying. He would demand that I go to church. He would demand that I give up my infatuation with sports and put Him first, and so on. Well, that was over 35 years ago, and I’m here to tell you that I haven’t given up a thing……rather, that “harsh” master gently took these things away and keeps on taking away those things that are harmful to my relationship with Him and others. He has replaced them all with unspeakable peace and joy!

Don’t let fear of God’s grace keep you from the kingdom. Perhaps you are exploring the “sack of salvation” today. Perhaps this same kind of fear is gripping you. You don’t want to take the plunge of faith because the devil wants you to believe that the harsh demands of God are awaiting you on the other side. Listen to the words of Jesus and see if there is any hint of harshness in them! 
Mt 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Fear not my friend, dive into the sack. God’s grace is real and it waits for you!

No comments :

Post a Comment