Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2016

The "We'll See" Is the Mark of A Gifted Teacher.

# 84 Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 1Ti 3:2 A bishop (pastor) then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; Next on the list of qualifications for those who would serve in the office of pastor is he must be able to teach. This teaching is one of the spiritual gifts that the writer of Romans mentions in Ro 12:6,7 “Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching;” This doesn't mean that the person with this gift MUST be a pastor, it is just a necessary qualification for one who desires to shepherd a local congregation. There are gifted teachers who lack the other necessary qualifications to be a pastor, but they certainly can be used to help educate the flock! So, how can you tell if someone has the gift of teaching? About the only way one can tell is by observing those being taught! Do the students “get it?” Are they able to explain to others what they have been taught, or more importantly do they display their grasp of the material in day to day living? I am married to a gifted teacher and my daughter is also gifted in that area. It warms my heart to hear the stories of how their former students are progressing in their studies after they have left their middle school classes. Simply by observation I know my wife and daughter are making a difference in the lives of their students. Some have told me that I have the gift of teaching and I like to think I do, however I will never forget a lesson I learned from another pastor. He was standing at the back of the church after the service and shaking hands of the parishioners as they left the sanctuary. One by one they said, “great sermon pastor,” to which he replied, “We'll see.” The “we'll see” is the true mark of a teacher. It's what the students do after leaving school that determines whether the material covered was properly communicated.

No comments :

Post a Comment