Search This Blog

Monday, May 4, 2015

In the Midst of tragedy

Today, we are all numb. Those senseless acts of violence that happen in other places, has hit very close to home. The shootings on the Trestle Bridge early Sunday evening in Menasha Wisconsin has given us all a grim jolt of the reality of the existence of evil in this world. Evil that shows up even on what is called the “friendship trail' a walkway over the waters of Little Lake Butte Des Mortes that connects Neenah to Menasha. A place where families and friends often find themselves strolling on warm evenings just enjoying each others company and their placid surroundings. It is a throwback picture to more innocent unhurried times, but that innocence was shattered abruptly by fatal gunshots on this warm Sunday evening. In the 23rd Psalm, David reminds us that we all walk through “the valley of the shadow of death,” and what he meant by that is death can come upon any of us as sudden as a flash flood in the dried up river beds know as Wadi's which are common to Israel. And with this backdrop he writes: “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever. “And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” This is our blessed hope for the victims who knew and were known by Jesus, may it be a very real source of comfort for those left behind: Oh Father God, how our hearts break for the families of all the victims. We pray now for the aftermath of this tragedy. Be with the counselors, be with the teachers, be with the students, be with the first responders, be with any and all who are personally involved in this event and help them through the turmoil that must come in the days ahead. Help us all to treasure our loved ones anew, realizing that every day we have with them is a gift. And thank You Lord for the blessed hope we have through faith in Jesus Christ.

No comments :

Post a Comment