Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Ask Anything In My Name

606 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from 2Sa 19:37 "Please let your servant turn back again, that I may die in my own city, near the grave of my father and mother. But here is your servant Chimham; let him cross over with my lord the king, and do for him what seems good to you." 38 And the king answered, "Chimham shall cross over with me, and I will do for him what seems good to you. Now whatever you request of me, I will do for you." 39 Then all the people went over the Jordan. And when the king had crossed over, the king kissed Barzillai and blessed him, and he returned to his own place. ( 2 Sam 19:37-39) Chimham is likely the son of Barzillai, and Barzillai asks that David bestow his blessing on him. “Do for him what seems good to you.” Notice how David turns the request around and says, “I will do for him what seems good to YOU!” Then he adds “whatever you request of me (for Chimham) I will do for you! Barzillai then returns to his own place. Barzillai then “returned to his own place.” I cannot help but think of Jesus and how He came to this earth and poured out kindness and compassion on the people during a time when they needed it. “When the fullness of time had come, God sent forth His Son, (Gal4:4) to give us what we needed. Then Jesus departed, “returned to His own place,” but before He left He told His disciples in Joh 14:12 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 13 "And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 "If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.” David is like our Father God here, and Barzillai like Jesus and we like Chimham. Because of the obedience of Jesus in dispensing mercy and compassion to us, He now sits at the right hand of God forever interceding on our behalf, and if we ask anything of the Father in His name, He will do it, just as David promised to do for Chimham! Chimham was the beneficiary of the goodness and compassion of Barzillai, and we are the beneficiaries of the goodness and compassion of Jesus. And we have this assurance that as we ask Jesus to do what is good for us, and are prepared to trust that He will grant whatever is ultimately good for us, we will receive it from the Father. Father, let us learn to pray with surrendered wills.

No comments :

Post a Comment