Search This Blog

Friday, January 30, 2015

We Can't Hear It Enough

548- Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 14:15-17 "Now therefore, I have come to speak of this thing to my lord the king because the people have made me afraid. And your maidservant said, 'I will now speak to the king; it may be that the king will perform the request of his maidservant. 16 'For the king will hear and deliver his maidservant from the hand of the man who would destroy me and my son together from the inheritance of God.' 17 "Your maidservant said, 'The word of my lord the king will now be comforting; for as the angel of God, so is my lord the king in discerning good and evil. And may the LORD your God be with you.'" (2 Sam 14:15-17) Kind of a clumsy and bulky couple of verses here, but what I'm picking up on is a sense of fear in this widow and a deep desire to be comforted with the words of the king. In the preceding verse she spoke of her certainty that God has provided “means, so that His banished ones are not expelled from Him.” But in these verses she paints a picture of someone who struggles with doubt. Let's suppose the people that are making her afraid here are represent agents of the devil. Wittingly or unwittingly they are causing her to doubt the security of God's pledge to deliver through His means of grace. She pleads with the King for renewed assurance for both her and her son to be delivered from the hand of the man who would destroy them and seek to keep them from the inheritance of God. Here, let us think of this man as the devil. The “Word of the Lord her King” should cause us to think of the Scriptures, in particular, 1Jo 5:13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life,” And the “angel of God” should cause us to think of those messengers of God who bring the Good News of peace and safety to our ears. (pastors, evangelists, etc) “The words of those angels bring comfort to the doubting soul, and need to be repeated and heard often. That's one of the main reasons we attend worship services! We are like sheep....forgetful, and we need to be constantly assured of God's love for us, and His certain promise of forgiveness through faith in Jesus. It is only through this faith that the one who would destroy our souls is rendered powerless. God, help me to never forget the gospel message. Let me hear the words of absolution often. The ears of my soul can't hear it enough.

No comments :

Post a Comment