Search This Blog

Friday, November 21, 2014

Some Final Thoughts On Drinking

504 - Today's Prime Time Devo comes from: 2Sa 11:13, “ Now when David called him, he ate and drank before him; and he made him drunk. (2 Sam 11:13) Today I'm wrapping up my series on drinking, but before I begin I want to speak to those who are recovering alcoholics. May God bless your sobriety, may He continue to give you the strength to say no to even one drink, because you know that in your situation, one drink is too many. The Bible does not forbid drinking but more important for the alcoholic....it doesn't command drinking either. You'll do just fine if you never put another drink to your lips. It's fairly evident that God meant wine to be a gift to mankind for celebration and for medicinal purposes. Ps 104:15 speaks of God's gifts in creation, and wine is one of them. “and wine cheers the heart of man, and oil makes his face shine, and bread sustains the heart of man.” Eccl 10:19a says, “Bread is made for laughter, and wine makes merry;” Paul writing to his young protege Timothy, instructed him to use wine for his physical infirmities. “Drink water no longer, but use a little wine for your stomach's sake, and for your many infirmities. (1 Tim 5:23) Let us remember that, “every creation of God is good, and nothing to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving. (1 Tim 4:4) while at the same time remembering 1 Cor 6:12, “All things are lawful to me, but not all things profit. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” And for the sake of those struggling with alcohol abuse or addiction please don't use your liberty to cause others to stumble. 1 Cor 8:9 says, “But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours becomes a stumbling block to those who are weak.” Enjoy God's gift of wine. Let it gladden your heart and help you unwind, but don't abuse it to the point that it is , as Paul wrote, “exercising power over you,” I speak from the experience of one who allowed alcohol to have power over me. I found myself always looking forward to my next high. (This is one of many telltale signs) Here's the thing about seeking a high, it always leads to an eventual low. A low that is sure to bring pain to you and others. Prov 23:20 says, “Don't be among ones drinking too much wine, or those who gorge themselves on meat' 21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall become poor;” I am forever thankful that by turning to Jesus Christ I was delivered from this sin. If you are struggling with alcohol abuse, turn to jesus and henceforth don't be filled with wine, which is dissipation, but be filled with the Holy Spirit! (Eph 5:18) Father, thank You for Your promise that the truth will set us free.

No comments :

Post a Comment