Search This Blog

Monday, December 30, 2013

Is It Ever Okay To Lie

# 308 - Today's Du-votional comes from 1Sa 21:2 So David said to Ahimelech the priest, "The king has ordered me on some business, and said to me, 'Do not let anyone know anything about the business on which I send you, or what I have commanded you.' And I have directed my young men to such and such a place. It's interesting, virtually every commentary I have read on this particular verse makes a big deal about David telling a lie. Yes he lied, but we are not given his motivation for lying. Did he lie to save his skin, or did he lie to protect the skin of Ahimelech? Think about it. What if David tells Ahimelech the truth? What if he says, “I am running from King Saul and I need you help?” Such truth telling in this instance would place Ahimelech in a great bind. Should he help David or remain loyal to Saul? I am inclined to believe that David lied for the sake of protecting Ahimelech. You see, Ahimelech was not the only one in the room. We are told that Doeg, one of Saul's loyal servants just happened to be present and David was aware of it! In 1 Sam 22:22 we read, “David said to Abiathar, "I knew that day, when Doeg the Edomite was there, that he would surely tell Saul. I have caused the death of all the persons of your father's house.” David knew that Doeg would give a full report to Saul of these events, and in lying, he thought he could keep Ahimelech out of it. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way. This is not the only biblical example of people lying in an attempt to save the skin of others. The Hebrew midwives lied to Pharaoh's henchman in order to save the babies that Pharaoh had ordered to be killed. Rahab lied to save the necks of the Israeli spies. And what do you think that a German who was hiding a Jew would say to the Gestapo when they knocked on their door? “Hiding Jews? Why yes I am, you'll find them in the secret closet upstairs!” As Christians we should not lie, but sometimes, it may be necessary in an attempt to protect innocent life. Innocent is key here. You don't lie to protect the guilty. It is as Jesus said in Mt 10:16 "Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. This verse pretty much sums up David's experience as he was running from Saul. It's a good rule for all of us to remember. Father give us the discernment that we need.

No comments :

Post a Comment