Search This Blog

Friday, September 6, 2013

David and Goliath Part 3

# 239 - Today's Du-votional comes from: 1Sa 17:8-11, “Then he stood and cried out to the armies of Israel, and said to them, "Why have you come out to line up for battle? Am I not a Philistine, and you the servants of Saul? Choose a man for yourselves, and let him come down to me. 9 "If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then we will be your servants. But if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall be our servants and serve us." 10 And the Philistine said, "I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together." 11 When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistine, they were dismayed and greatly afraid. (1 Sam 17:8-11) The giant Goliath issues the challenge to the Israelites: “I am the best the Philistines have to offer, give me the best that the Israelites have to offer, and let's battle, winner take all!” Then he says “I defy,” the word means to strip bare, to peel back to expose, like one might peel a banana. In other words he was telling the Israelites that their men were all show and no go, and the implication is that Jehovah God was the same. No wonder David was so upset. Goliath was calling God Almighty a windbag. Who will come forth and stand against this giant? Saul and his men were petrified to the point of panic as they anticipated great harm to anyone who would stand against Goliath. Who will stand against this mighty enemy? Only God could defeat such a foe. Isa 45:22 says, "Look to Me, and be saved, All you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other.” and in Ac 4:12 "Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." Enter David, the bloodline of Christ! Christ is our only hope against the evil foe. The enemy pressing in on you today? Is he using his calling card of fear and doubt? Is he insinuating that our God is “all show and no go?” Remember who won this battle and call on the one who gave David his victory. Call on Jesus. Just one word from Him will send the devil and his demons fleeing.

No comments :

Post a Comment