Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2012

The Great transgression

# 53 – Today's Du-votional comes from 1Sa 3:12-14 "In that day I will perform against Eli all that I have spoken concerning his house, from beginning to end. 13 "For I have told him that I will judge his house forever for the iniquity which he knows, because his sons made themselves vile, and he did not restrain them. 14 "And therefore I have sworn to the house of Eli that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be atoned for by sacrifice or offering forever." I want to spend another day on this portion of Scripture because the consequences of presumptuous sinning are so serious. Eli's “presumptuous sin” was that he knew what his sons were doing but he did not seek to restrain them. Please note what God said in v13, “the iniquity which he knows.” Eli knew what to do, but he refused to do it. We are so much like Eli. We know what the word of God says. We know how God wants us to live, and so often we do it our way instead. Jas 4:17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. Presumptuous sinning is playing with fire, for it is God that grants genuine repentance, and if He chooses to withhold it, we can find ourselves in the same boat with Eli and his sons. Listen to what David pleads for in the King James version of Ps 19:13, “Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. Why would David call presumptuous sinning the “great transgression?” Because he knew that willful sinning can lead to being cut off from God. And so he pleads, “don't let willful sinning call the shots in my life. (Don't let them “have dominion over me.”) Caught in the trap of willful sinning? God is calling you right now to repentance! Pray with David and be spared the judgment that comes with the great transgression!

No comments :

Post a Comment